[linux-audio-user] A couple of questions

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Sun Apr 2 12:37:16 EDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 18:22 +0200, Christoph Eckert wrote:
> > What problem are you trying to solve here?  Some use cases are
> > needed. This should Just Work - I've never had to use alsaconf, and
> > my distro (Ubuntu) no longer ships it.
>
> for example, the Gentoo user mailing list is full of questions like "I
> did follow the excellent Gentoo ALSA user guide, but I still get no
> sound."

Well, people who use Gentoo are expected to know what they are doing.
Most distros provide default mixer settings with their ALSA Packages
that unmute the right channels.  If this does not work then it's most
likely a driver bug and no amount of configuration can help.

> How can a user who just bought a USB audio device make it the
> default device?

System->Preferences->Sound then select the USB audio device from the
"Default sound card" menu

>  How can a user interested in JACK easily find the right
> settings for his card?

The defaults should work on any card, just fire up qjackctl.

>  How does (or why must) a user know which module
> to use for his card?

On what distro does a user have to know this?  It should Just Work -
hotplug/udev will load the drivers for any detected cards.

>  How can a user disable a certain card?

By setting a different card to be the default.  If they want to do fancy
stuff like prevent the driver from ever loading they'll have to use a
hotplug blacklist.

> All this is of little interest for myself, I have learned how to set up
> my system. But new linux audio users should never be in need to edit
> config files manually in vi.

They don't, if they use a newbie-friendly distro.

Lee