[linux-audio-user] A couple of questions

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Mon Apr 3 16:49:40 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 13:30 -0700, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > I disagree, I think the next release of all the major distros should
> be
> > usable OOTB for audio.
>
> Depends on the definition of "usable", I guess. Do you think they will
> include access to SCHED_FIFO out of the box?

Ubuntu Dapper will.  It can't be enabled OOTB because of the "secure by
default" requirement, but all that's needed is to add:

*               rtprio  hard    99
*               nice    hard    -20

to /etc/security/limits.conf.

I'm running it now, it works perfectly.  Running for several days, max
latency so far with 2.6.16 vanilla (+ latency trace patch) and a 600MHz
box is only ~5.5ms.

I would expect the next Fedora release to also support this, if FC5
doesn't already, all that's needed are recent PAM and glibc.

Lee