[linux-audio-user] Re: Skype + emu10k1

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Apr 3 17:55:17 EDT 2006

On Monday 03 April 2006 17:00, Lee Revell wrote:
>On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 22:17 +0200, Jacob wrote:
>> But I see a problem with skype's b0rken encryption (they seem to use
>> the same RC4 sequence twice, with a lot of known plain text bytes in
>> the first run, so hacking this is straight forward) and the
>> possibility for others to make their computer a supernode which
>> might route my call if I am behind a firewall.
>>
>> For more details see:
>>   http://www.golem.de/0603/44146.html (german)
>>   http://www.secdev.org/conf/skype_BHEU06.handout.pdf (link taken
>> from above document, very interesting)
>
>Yup, I've read that doc - I'm not a crypto expert so can't really
>comment.
>
>Oh well, I guess I have to try the AC97 mic port on the back of the
>card, and if that fails, the onboard Via sound.
>
>Hmm, I do have an old hub behind my DSL router, maybe I have to bypass
>it...

I'm not doing anything unusual to my firewall or router at all Lee.
And I am using skype occasionally, with it using the onboard nforce
version of the av97 chipset.  And except for needing to use
'skype_dsp_hijacker -2nd' in the icon to launch it, its all in
the /etc/modules.conf file.  I think maybe you even helped me set it up
originally last fall.  Do I need to copy that back to the list again?

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: