[linux-audio-user] A couple of questions

J. G. 2357bd at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 02:42:08 EDT 2006

On 4/2/06, John Mulholland <johnmulholland at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> 1. Is there anywhere non programmers can suggest an application to be
> developed? I am sure there are many non programmers with great ideas
> lurking on this list.

John,

It seems to me that The Internet Archive (www.archive.org) was trying
to get something like this going (in their software archive).  I saw
some proposals there, but they seem to only concern things of interest
to The Internet Archive.  That being said, one could write the
documentation to a program, and then try to entice a programmer to
write the corresponding program.  (Before you flame me, please realize
that I know that this is a rather naive assumption, given that nearly
every programmer prefers to dictate the design of the program, write
the actual program, and then write the documentation.)

As has already been mentioned, we might all do well to use what we
already have.  I would like some easy way to attach metadata to my
samples.  (I'm looking at converting my samples to .flac files,
attaching relevant tags, and using Beagle to index and search the
metadata to solve this particular problem.)  So, I would hope that
either the specialty music distros would add more non music software,
or that we get the most excellent kernel for sound on, say Debian,
sometime relatively soon.  (Hey DeMuDi developers, I'm glad Synaptic
is in the current RC!!!!)

I've been lurking on this list for 18 months now, and have learned so
much from everyone.  Thank you all.

Yours,

Jon G.