[linux-audio-user] music engine

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 18:05:02 EDT 2006

On 4/6/06, Patrick Stinson <patrickkidd.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been looking for a high-performance music engine. It must have an
> asynchronous control (socket, pipe?) mechanism to seperate the
> application from the audio thread.
>
> I'm looking for:
>
> start/stop samples on the beat
> scaled tempo control across all samples
> volume
> effects?
> easily wrappable (I'll write extensions, implement protocol
> plugins...) with python
>
> I'm trying to write something like ableton live without writing an
> engine all over again. FMODex would be *perfect* if it had a
> well-defined tempo/beat/sync interface.
>
> thanks
>
> --
> Patrick Kidd Stinson

Hi Patrick,
   I've been down this rabbit hole 1000 times in the last 4-5 years.
There is nothing in the Linux-Audio world even remotely like Live or
Acid Pro in terms of handling the scaling of pitch and tempo across
all samples. I just updated to Acid Pro 6 this week for $99 since that
sort of stuff I do playing with Acid Pro is nearly impossible in any
Linux app I've found.

   There was some work done a long time ago for Ardour which allowed
it to pain samples in an audio track pretty much like Acid and Live
do. Unfortunately there was never any work done, TTBOMK, to manage the
pitch/tempo changes required to get that sort of functionality.

   Too bad as it's a really fun way to play around with loops to come
up with song ideas.

   Maybe one day....

Cheers,
Mark