[linux-audio-user] Linux distro to run audio on PPC

carmen ix at replic.net
Fri Apr 7 20:41:33 EDT 2006

On Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 12:12:47PM +0000, Matthew Polashek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm looking for suggestions and comments on running Linux on PPC with the
> intention of making an audio box.  I'm intersted in suggestions for distros and
> kernels, etc.  I've got a Powerbook G4 17 that I'm dual booting with OSX and
> Yellowdog

whats wrong with yellowdog? anyways if you want to switch to Debian or Gentoo you can do it without a reinstall (old binaries may be overwritten, but conf files will be ok). for debian use debootstrap, for gentoo just untar a portage snapshot to /usr and start emerging :)

a buddy recently gave up on installing debian or gentoo and went with yellowdog, due to the finickynness of yaboot/miboot/quik/bootX and the patch partitions, miniature boot partitions etc... so a 'live upgrade' to one of the above distro is what i'd recommend..