[linux-audio-user] hdd-recording

Denis Alessandro Altoe Falqueto denisfalqueto at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 07:58:42 EDT 2006

On 4/11/06, vlad <vla at gmx.at> wrote:
> that's the point, bristol does not run with JACK.
> how can i simply record the speaker-output?

I use the alsa-jack plugin. It creates a jack client representing your
soundboard that can be used to connect to and from any other jack
client. It commonly is not installed by the distro's, but can be found
in ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/plugins/. Mabe your distro calls it
(surprisingly) alsa-plugins. Choose your plugin according to your alsa
version. You will need to change /etc/asound.conf or ~/.asoundrc. Look
at my /etc/asound.conf for an example of using it:

pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave { pcm "jack" }
}

pcm.jack {
    type jack
    playback_ports {
        0 alsa_pcm:playback_1
        1 alsa_pcm:playback_2
    }
    capture_ports {
        0 alsa_pcm:capture_1
        1 alsa_pcm:capture_2
    }
}

This means that I will allways use the jack plugin as my primary alsa
device. I also start jackd automatically when I log into kde. Or you
can just create another device and use it in your app via a command
line parameter.

Hope that helps.