[linux-audio-user] Demudi can connect to the internet

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Thu Apr 13 08:10:48 EDT 2006

Hi Bal,

baldobe wrote:
> I am trying to connect to the internet using a debian distro but I can not
> even connect to my router.
>
> I have 3 other debian based distros on the same machine that are all able to
> connect.
>
> I tried to go into the router via telnet but when I type in the router
> address 198.168.1.1 I get the reply that is was unable to establish a
> connection.
>
> I also went into my /etc/resolv.conf file, which I had to create, and
> entered the primary and secondary DNS addresses.
> and set nameserver to the above router address.
>
> I have had a look at Linux.org beginers guide on how to connect but I do not
> get further than telnet connecting to the router.
>
> Can some one please guide me through what I need to do to connect this
> distro to the Internet.
>
> I have looked at the /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/network/interfaces files in
> distros that work and made changes to these files in demudi but I still can
> not access the internet from it. When I go to PPPoE setup it says that it
> has found one device, eth1, and when I tell it to set it up it says that it
> fails.

Please could you give us the error messages verbatim? (actually, see
below) What is eth0 doing?

> I have been struggling for some time on this now. I have googled and read
> the demudi FAQ but just can not find anything that enables me to get this
> distro to connect to the internet.
>
> If someone can at least point me in the right direction that would be of
> some help.

Hrm, this really is a demudi-specific question. It's possible that
demudi doesn't have PPPoE supported properly for some reason. It's
probably worth opening a ticket here: http://demudi.agnula.org/newticket
if it works using vanilla Debian on the same hardware, then you may well
have hit a bug. It doesn't look like you are doing anything 'wrong'.

Please come and hassle people on users at lists.agnula.org, you probably
won't get a lot of interest in this problem here.
I'm really sorry to hear that this is still a problem, despite your best
efforts to solve it.

cheers,

tim hall