[linux-audio-user] midi note numbers

M P Smoak smoak at mis.net
Thu Apr 13 14:47:56 EDT 2006

On Thursday 13 April 2006 08:33, tim hall wrote:
> Christoph Eckert wrote:
> >>Computers count from zero.  Always have, always will.
> >
> > yes, of course, I know.
> >
> > But it is possible to hide this in user interfaces. IMHO the
> > machines have to serve the humans, not the other way around.
> >
> > How many mails are you reading right now, 0 or 1 ;-) ?
>
> It's not a question of number, it's a question of counter position.
> Yes it does my head in too, but when was the last time you counted
> from 1 on a ruler?
>
> This thread has explained to me why I'm constantly confused as to the
> location of 'middle C'. I would also like to point out to anyone
> writing software that uses a MIDI keyboard that, while A=440 is a
> sane default, there are musically appropriate reasons for variations
> in the range of A=415 to A=446+ - allowing a slightly greater range
> of variation (say 400 - 450Hz) could also be useful. I tend not to
> use software that does not allow this.
>
> cheers,
>
> tim hall

Some basic thoughts on note numbering.

a Note  is  a Frequency;  ie A440

A880  is the A note an octave above A440 ie frequency doubles

On a piano, the lowest note is an A; often piano players call it A1
In that case, A1 (name) is A55 (frequency).

Notice that the frequency description of a note sounded is not
arbitrary; a plucked string has a fundamental frequency, which
we use to describe the sound.

Western music notation is based on the idea of note names; ABCDEFG
A1, A2, ... are octaves apart.  Note that 1 2 3 ... in these names
are arbitrarily assigned.  We could (and I think some do) call
A440 A0. In that case the A an octive below would be called A-1, and
it would make prefect sense as long as folks knew what A0 was.

In brief, the numbers in note names are arbitrary and based on a
logarithmic scale of frequencies.  Where the zero point is on that
scale is where the midi note numbering confusion arises.  And the
confusion exist for instrument players in general.

> sane default, there are musically appropriate reasons for variations
> in the range of A=415 to A=446+ - allowing a slightly greater range
> of variation (say 400 - 450Hz) could also be useful. I tend not to
> use software that does not allow this.

I strongly agree.  Isn't that just saying that an instrument should be
tune-able.  Horns have tuning slides; guitars have pegs.  My soundcard
has the capability; software that claims to support it should have a
tuning slider, peg, widgit, command or something.

Marv   in Lexington, KY  with blue skys, trees in bloom,  mid 70s F.