[linux-audio-user] midi note numbers

Frank Wales frank at limov.com
Thu Apr 13 17:18:19 EDT 2006

On 04/13/2006 10:08 PM, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> I know noone claimed otherwise, but my point was not so much (at least
> after a few posts) "what's *the* name of midinote 60, but rather "what's
> the *most common* (in computer world) name for midinote 60. I was
> writing a program and might as well choose the most commenly known name
> for notes rather that picking something out of the blue, which would
> confuse more people...

Might I suggest that, since there is genuine variability in what
people name it, that you make this a configuration option, with
a sensible default (e.g., A4)?  This will fend off complaints from
future users who want it to be 'A3' or 'A5', although those
who call it 'Monty the Middle Note' might have to lump it.
--
Frank Wales [frank at limov.com]