[linux-audio-user] Java and native MIDI ports

Adrien DANIEL adrien.daniel at etumel.univmed.fr
Fri Apr 14 11:09:40 EDT 2006

Hi there !

I don't know if asking that kind of question here is a good thing, but I try !

I am working on a little software for a work in my university. Its way
of working is very simple : It gets MIDI events from a (virtual) port,
modify them, and then send MIDI events to a (virtual) MIDI port.
Typically, it looks like this :

Instrument MIDI Output ---> My software ---> Input Soft Synth

My problem is about opening those virtuals MIDI ports. I know how to do
that with the ALSA API, but I would like to get that job done in Java.
In fact, I wanna code my whole sofware in Java.

I read somewhere
(http://jsresources.sourceforge.net/faq_midi.html#connect_midi) that
the native apps MIDI ports of the ALSA system where reachable in the
Java 5 Sound API (as MidiDevice) when the virmidi module is loaded.

Well, I loaded it, listed every MidiDevice availables on the Java
System with a little piece of Java code, but I can't see, for example,
the vkeybd Output port or the FluidSynth Input port !

Could someone help me ? :'(

Cheers,
AD