[linux-audio-user] Java and native MIDI ports

torbenh at gmx.de torbenh at gmx.de
Fri Apr 14 15:07:20 EDT 2006

On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 05:09:40PM +0200, Adrien DANIEL wrote:
> Hi there !
>
> I don't know if asking that kind of question here is a good thing, but I
> try !
>
> I am working on a little software for a work in my university. Its way
> of working is very simple : It gets MIDI events from a (virtual) port,
> modify them, and then send MIDI events to a (virtual) MIDI port.
> Typically, it looks like this :
>
> Instrument MIDI Output ---> My software ---> Input Soft Synth
>
> My problem is about opening those virtuals MIDI ports. I know how to do
> that with the ALSA API, but I would like to get that job done in Java.
> In fact, I wanna code my whole sofware in Java.

first of all: Do not use java. it suxx :)

> I read somewhere
> (http://jsresources.sourceforge.net/faq_midi.html#connect_midi) that
> the native apps MIDI ports of the ALSA system where reachable in the
> Java 5 Sound API (as MidiDevice) when the virmidi module is loaded.

the virmidi device acts as a bridge between alsa-seq midi ports and
raw-midi ports. These are two different flavours.

You need to connect your app to the virmidi RAW ports,
then connect the virmidi SEQ ports via aconnect or qjackctl or whatever

although using aconnect seems easy if java has something like the
system(3) call.

--
torben Hohn
http://galan.sourceforge.net -- The graphical Audio language