[linux-audio-user] midi programming question regarding channels

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Sun Apr 16 13:10:44 EDT 2006

On Sun, Apr 16, 2006 at 12:57:39PM -0400, paul wisehart wrote:

> What's the canonical way to play a "one instrument" chord
> in midi?
>
> Do I send multiple note-on events to the same channel?

Yes.

> My intuition says stack up the notes on the one channel.
> That would be more analoguous to a band situation where
> each channel is an instrument.  But, in practice are most
> midi synths able to handle enough multiple notes on a channel?

On common MIDI synths, you can play a patch with all 10 fingers
and bang your head on the keys same time and the number of notes
you will hear depend only on the number of voices the synthesizer
has.
I never heared of a channel related limit. At least in hardware,
MIDI is serial, so it's one event after the other, anyway.

Cheers,
Thorsten Wilms