[linux-audio-user] Advice on FC5

Tim Howard tdhoward at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 11:42:36 EDT 2006

Hello everyone,

I need some advice (OK, a lot of advice) on what to do with my Linux
installation.

Right now I am running FC3 + PlanetCCRMA, and I'm enjoying it a lot.
I'm using Ardour, Hydrogen, and a few other JACK compliant apps.
However, I have a few reasons for wanting to reinstall and/or upgrade
my distro.

#1  I recently got some new hard drives which I would like to install.
#2  FC5 has just been released, and I'm curious to see what it's like.
#3  I tried to upgrade glibc on my current installation, and I <ahem>
"broke" it.  I have pieced it back into a functioning system again,
but I doubt it will ever quite be the same.

My first question is:  Do I want to go to FC5?  I don't think
PlanetCCRMA has anything for it yet, but I'm thinking of running it
OOTB.  Is it usable for some simple use of JACK and friends?  I hear
that it wouldn't have low latency.  Is this true, and does that affect
me if I'm only recording one or two tracks at a time?

Any help on this would be appreciated!

Thanks,

-TimH