[linux-audio-user] how to un-ipod some m4a songs.

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Thu Apr 20 11:51:29 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 20:45 -0500, Brian Dunn wrote:
> >Thanks!  I was under the impression it was harder.  Isn't it impossible
> >under Windows without a specialized app to mount the partition with the
> >audio files and copy them to your hard drive?  Was that just a silly
> >iTunes/driver restriction?
> >
> >Lee
> >

> Actually it was a little easier than that for me since i have a complete
> gnome2 instalation with dbus, hal and gvm (gnome-volume-manager).  then
> the iPod is automatcally mounted in /mount/ipod.  all you have to do is
> point gtkpod to it with its menu options and whalah.  I even opted to
> have gtkpod automaicaly open when the iPod is pluged in, and it unmounts
> the iPod when i close it.  and they say linux isn't user friendly.  ;-)
> ( is it just me, or is gtkpod 10x faster than iTunes? )

This does not work for me.  What distro are you on?

I made sure gnome-volume-manager, dbus and hal are installed.  But when
I launch gtkpod I get:

'/media/ipod/iPod_Control/iTunes/iTunesDB' does not exist. Import
aborted.

In fact /media/ipod does not exist.  If I create it and mount the thing
manually I get permissions errors.

How is this supposed to work?  Is gnome-volume-manager supposed to
create the /media/ipod directory?  Should it already exist?  What are
the correct permissions?

Lee