[linux-audio-user] Re: distorting Linuxsampler

Florian Schmidt mista.tapas at gmx.net
Thu Apr 20 12:54:42 EDT 2006

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:40:49 -0400
Paul Winkler <pw_lists at slinkp.com> wrote:

> Yep, they're basically trying to mutate the GPL into the old Csound
> license.  There are no restrictions on selling music made with
> LinuxSampler. There are restrictions on selling LinuxSampler itself.
>
> Personally I don't get what all the fuss is about.

Licenses are of great importance. The LS license doesn't look like a
real license to me, because of the often mentioned points (one of them
which i raised but never got any answer to is that prior to changing the
license of a GPL project every contributor has to be asked if it's
allright with them except for the case that they signed off their rights
to the LS devs (as happens with the linux kernel)).

So basically LS is in a legal nomansland at the moment. They should
clear this issue, and talk to an attorney.

Everytime you put a project under the GPL you have to think _before_ you
release the stuff. Sometimes there's no way back unless you are the lone
author and have the copyrights to the whole code. Usually you put your
stuff under the GPL though so that others can contribute and be sure
that the code stays GPL.

Regards,
Flo

--