[linux-audio-user] Recommendations

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Thu Apr 20 15:08:16 EDT 2006

Ian Remmler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to get into composition and synthesis, but I am
> completely new to this stuff.  linux-sound.org has lots of
> pointers, but since I don't have much background it's hard to
> tell what is worth looking into.  A page with example sounds or
> music from the various packages would be helpful I think.
>
> I am not interested in performance so real-time synthesis and
> instrument input are not necessary.  What I would like to be
> able to do is create "instruments" from samples and/or various
> synthesis methods (or combinations thereof).  I would like the
> ability to experiment with creating my own synthesizers as well,
> preferably using some kind of programming language.
>
> Then, I'd like to be able to compose music is some kind of
> sequencer.  A "programming language" might even be fine if the
> syntax is nice.  Real-time playback or non-real-time "rendering"
> of the music would both be fine.  Basically I want to dabble
> with the synthesis/production/composition side of things, rather
> than performing or playing instruments.
>
> Any recommendations on what I should look at would be greatly
> appreciated.

have a look at pd, csound and cmusic for designing instruments and
creating algorithms for the creation of music.
All have a somewhat steep learning curve and are very different from
each other.  The pd mailing list is very active.:
and there is a wiki with more resource links:
http://puredata.info/

CSound:
http://www.csounds.com/

CMusic:
http://www.crca.ucsd.edu/cmusic/

I wouldn't jump into any of these until you review the literature and
take a look at the tools and syntax -- just to see if it's something
that you want to explore further. Once you get into one, there's no
turning back! WWWOOOOHAAAAAAAA (<- that's my Al Pacino impersonation)

brad

--

Brad Fuller
Sonaural Audio Studio