[linux-audio-user] Recommendations

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Apr 20 18:39:54 EDT 2006

Hallo,
Ian Remmler hat gesagt: // Ian Remmler wrote:

> I'd like to get into composition and synthesis, but I am
> completely new to this stuff.  linux-sound.org has lots of
> pointers, but since I don't have much background it's hard to
> tell what is worth looking into.  A page with example sounds or
> music from the various packages would be helpful I think.

As Pd and Csound have already been recommended I would also direct you
to take a look at SuperCollider. I don't have any hands-on experience
with it (I use Pd almost exclusively for about five years) but from
what some friends who use it tell me, it may also fit well into your
field.  It is a text based synthesis and composition language whose
syntax looks nicer than Csound to my eyes.

Anyway if you spend some days with each of the three you should get a
feeling for what kind of synthesis environment you like, and if it's
indeed more working with text based interfaces or if you prefer
graphical patcher software like Pd (or Omsynth).

Although I often program with text languages like C++ or Python, I
found, that for doing artistic work, software with a graphical
representation of the data flow like Pd fits my tastes better. So I
would recommend to not rule out one of the two approaches (txt vs.
gui) in advance.

All of these programs benefit immensly from a fair bit of a
theoretical background, which you can only get from books, IMO. I
would very much recommend to get hold of Dodge/Jerse: "Computer
Music". It's the best introduction into the topic of Computer-based
synthesis.

Another slightly older, but very good book is Moore: "Elements of
Computer Music". I like it even more than the Dodge/Jerse, but some
important topics are missing because of its age, e.g. granular
synthesis. I would avoid Roads: "Computer Music Tutorial" for now, it
is more an encyclopedia than an introductory book.

As soon as you have learned the basics, here's my secret weapon for
even more stuff to learn about computer music:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citeseer

Ciao