[linux-audio-user] Doing Drums

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Thu Apr 20 19:00:44 EDT 2006

BJaY wrote:
> I trying to figure out a method of doing contemporary drums, where I can
> edit in a matrix like environment but then get separate Jack outputs for
> each drum to allow for DSP'ing. I currently use Rosegarden synced to Ardour.
> Rosegarden will not allow splitting notes to different channels - though
> Muse does, but that means I have to run both (I don't know if they'll play
> happy together). I revisited hydrogen again recently, but it won't load gig
> or sf2, as far as I can see (Has some nice kits though). I like the idea of
> using Linuxsampler to do drums but I can't see a way of directing one drum
> to one engine / output and another to another. I feel like there is a simple
> solution here that I'm missing, it must be a very common requirement in
> digital audio. Anyone got any suggestions ?

At the moment the most advanced drum machine is Hydrogen. You can run up
to four ladspa plugins with that interface and attach it to jack-rack to
get more fx in the mix. However it doesn't allow for samples to be sent
to jack over independant tracks.

Still you can do quite a lot with the above setup if you apply some
tricky panning and EQing etc...

It may also be possible to run multiple hydrogens at one time and sync
with jack transport but I haven't tried it.

Cheers.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
Http://www.boosthardware.com