[linux-audio-user] ANN: Bristol 0.9.4

Lars Luthman larsl at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Apr 21 05:25:02 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 15:16 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On 4/20/06, Lee Revell <rlrevell at joe-job.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 10:16 +0200, Thomas Kuther wrote:
> > > Hmm just tried 0.9.4-1.src.041906 compiled as you explained above, but
> > > don't seem to be able to get it to use jack.
> > > i did:
> > > $ startBristol -b3 -jack &
> > > or -audio jack
> > >
> > > but it starts using alsa.
> > > Any hints? :)
> > >

> > I think this behavior of falling back to ALSA is confusing - most users
> > would expect Bristol to fail to start if -jack is specified but it can't
> > find the server.
>
> Or it might even start a Jack server ala Ardour if one isn't running.

All JACK clients do this automatically if the environment variable
JACK_START_SERVER is set (unless you have an ancient version of JACK).

The same goes for LASH with the latest release, so there's really no
need to start daemons manually any more (unless you want to specify
different command line options than the ones in your config file).

--
Lars Luthman
PGP key:     http://www.student.nada.kth.se/~d00-llu/pgp_key.php