[linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [ANN] No More Specimen

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki eric at zhevny.com
Sat Apr 22 04:50:44 EDT 2006

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 20 April 2006 16:01, Lee Revell wrote:
>>On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 15:51 -0400, Dana Olson wrote:
>>>SourceForge is pretty reliable, and I don't see it going
>>>down any time soon
>>LOL
> I wonder what Dana has been smoking?  If I still smoked, I'd like to
> sample that.  I know of one project that left in the last month, mainly
> because cvs only worked a few hours a week.  Life's too short for that
> BS.

There are reasons jackaudio.org and ardour.org now exist. As I
understand it, sourceforge's persistent cvs access difficulties played
no small part in those moves.

I've never been comfortable with the "host everything here" mentality of
sourceforge. I'm sure they've done a great thing for the greater
FLOSSing community, but it's just not good, imho, for so many projects
to rely on one vendor's project hosting solution. Besides, I'm more
interested in using svn than cvs. Someone else suggested berlios.de, but
they put banner adds all over everything, and again, it's a "host
everything here" type of solution ... My gut tells me that independently
hosted projects, or smaller clusters of projects on smaller services
will be more scalable in the long term.

I'm a competent sysadmin. I think I can keep my own site up and running
well enough. For various reasons, I'll also be getting some sort of
offsite colocated box with (hopefully) better than DSL bandwidth in the
not too distant future.

As to other developer's efforts, I'm serving as "maintainer". Patches
will be gratefully accepted. If there prove to be other developers who
do actually make significant contributions I'll gladly open up svn
access to the dedicated.

All that said, I'm leaving for LAC2006 later today. Nothing more
specimen related will happen until after the conference.

-Eric Rz.