[linux-audio-user] Re: LKML: Time to remove LSM

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Sat Apr 22 08:19:47 EDT 2006

On Friday 21 April 2006 14:52, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki was like:
> Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> > paul wisehart wrote:
> >>Its frustrating how fractured linux has become.
> >>(But, maybe it always was.)
> >>Switching distros *IS* a solution.
> >>Switching distros *IS* a solution that should only
> >>happen *ONCE* because your switching from a bad distro.
> >
> > Yep, I switched from some RPM based distro to Debian about
> > 5 years ago. I now use both Debian and Ubuntu which are so
> > similar its not really valid to treat them as separate
> > distros.
>
> I don't know exactly how accurate this is wrt debian vs ubuntu, but
> perhaps it would be useful to think of debian-based distros more in the
> sense of the relation that demudi has to debian proper. That is to say
> that the ubuntus and demudis and knoppixes, etc, etc, etc, are more
> customized ways of getting a debian system installed or running than
> separate fractured distros. They are like the various development
> branches of the kernel, or any other large project, in a sense. They
> exist because they are useful to a certain subset of the main project's
> users and because they allow certain subsets of needs and problems to be
> worked out.

Yes and no. I agree with the sentiment you are expressing here, however there
are differences. DeMuDi is a Custom Debian Distribution, Knoppix and Ubuntu
et al actually are separate distros based on Debian. Packages from the latter
are not guaranteed to play nicely with the fomer and if it breaks ... yadda
yadda. If DeMuDi packages break Debian and vs::vs we would regard that as a
bug. DeMuDi developers have to deal with the Debian infrastructure. Ubuntu
devs can avoid it to a certain extent. Corrections from the Ubuntu camp
welcome on this. The distros in question all benefit from each others' work
to varying extents.

> In the ideal world view those branched efforts will get folded back into
> the mainline project once the issues are sorted out.

The good news is: This is already the case - packages from Ubuntu and DeMuDi
do already get folded back into Debian.

--
cheers,

tim hall