[linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [ANN] No More Specimen

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Sun Apr 23 14:09:02 EDT 2006

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 04:50:44AM -0400, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> Gene Heskett wrote:
> >>LOL
> >I wonder what Dana has been smoking?  If I still smoked, I'd like to
> >sample that.  I know of one project that left in the last month, mainly
> >because cvs only worked a few hours a week.  Life's too short for that
> >BS.
>
> There are reasons jackaudio.org and ardour.org now exist. As I
> understand it, sourceforge's persistent cvs access difficulties played
> no small part in those moves.

My experience with sourceforge leads me to tentatively conclude:

If you have a low-priority project that you work on intermittently,
with maybe a few other developers, and you don't want to bother with
setting up any infrastructure (i.e. public repositories and trackers),
it's very very useful.  I'm involved with a couple of projects like
this.

If you live and breathe some particular project(s), you *will* get bit
by sourceforge service outages and the inability to really tweak the
infrastructure to your needs.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com