[linux-audio-user] Re: distorting Linuxsampler

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Sun Apr 23 20:47:39 EDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-23 at 17:23 -0700, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 01:14 +0100, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> > Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I gotta repeat my own understanding of this issue, but I think it all
> > boils down to this:
> >
> > a) linuxsampler-0.3.3 is the last known public release; as is, its pure
> > GPL, everyone if free to fork it according to FSF legalese ;)
>
> This is not the first time I see something like this posted on the
> lists, sigh:
>
> --------
> > tar
> xvjf /projects/planet/source/rpms/linuxsampler/linuxsampler-0.3.3.tar.bz2
> > cd linuxsampler-0.3.3
> > more README
>   LinuxSampler - modular, streaming capable sampler
>
>   by Benno Senoner (benno at gardena.net)
>   and Christian Schoenebeck (cuse at users.sourceforge.net)
>
>   This software is distributed under the GNU General Public License (see
>   COPYING file), and may not be used in commercial applications
>   without asking the authors for permission.
> --------
>
> so, AFAIK 0.3.3 is already not really GPL for the reasons already listed
> in the thread.

The above sentence ("This software...") is a self contradiction.  It can
not be both "distributed under the GNU General Public License" and "may
not be used in commercial applications".  There is no debate about it's
interpretation, because it does not make sense.  The linuxsampler
authors must clarify and fix this sentence, it is not valid statement.

(I should maybe point out that if the non commercial exception is
intended, linux sampler is NOT open source software)

-DR-