[linux-audio-user] Re: Mastering without mastering

Phil Mendelsohn phil at rephil.org
Sun Apr 30 16:41:51 EDT 2006

Bruce wrote:

> I was just watching the talk on Protege at zkm 2006 and a bit of a crazy
> idea occured to me. In addition to storing qualities of each instrument
> like
> lead, string, percussive etc, a spectral profile could be generated for
> each
> instrument and stored in the database. Then, you could take each channel
> of
> your recording and pipe them (individually) into an app which would
> analyse
> their spectral content, and then suggest alternative patches to make the
> 'whole' sound like some idealised mix (there would be a selection of
> these,
> based on Genre perhaps). It would be like a magic button which would make
> track sound immediately better.
>
> Any thoughts ?

Just three.  I'm not being snippy, just providing the canonical response.

1:  This isn't an original idea.  It rears it's ugly head every so often.
2:  There is no practical way to define the parameters that determine
    what an "ideal" mix would be.
3:  Even if you could, you wouldn't want to.  Any endeavour that can
    be completely reduced to a deterministic algorithm is no longer art.

The study of *how* to define ideal might be instructive for fleshing out
your own ideas of what sounds good, but you don't want to eliminate the
possibility of other options.  In fact, there are so many, that it's
impossible to define.  (Though imprecise guidelines are a possibility.)

If I had to wish for a magic button, I'd ask it to do something that I
*wasn't* able to do -- like Whirled Peas or such. ;)

Good luck with that!
Phil M

--
Dept. of Mathematics, 342 Machray Hall
U. of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3T 2N2