[linux-audio-user] own kernel, ubuntu

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Wed Aug 2 18:58:26 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 00:50 +0200, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just got a new laptop, and would like to compile my own kernel
> (unpatched at first). Does anyone here have or know of a script or
> sequence of commands for compiling a drop-in replacement for a standard
> ubuntu kernel with a kernel.org kernel. Preferrably without having to go
> via a .deb...

I go via a .deb:

Enter the kernel source directory, copy the desired kernel config
to .config (probably safest to start with the one from Ubuntu's kernel),
then:

fakeroot make-kpkg --revision=rlrevell.0.9
--append-to-version=-smp-noipv6 kernel_image

The .deb will be generated one directory up.

Then since the Ubuntu kernel config requires an initramfs:

cd to /boot, su to root, then:

mkinitramfs -o initrd.img-2.6.17-rt3-smp-noipv6 2.6.17-rt3-smp-noipv6

/boot/grub/menu.lst will already have been updated when you installed
the .deb, just add a line like:

initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.17-rt3-smp-noipv6

HTH,

Lee