[linux-audio-user] XMMS and Firefox (or Flash?) not playing along nicely

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Fri Aug 4 14:18:52 EDT 2006

Somehow XMMS and Firefox (or rather Firefox media plugins) seem to
compete over sound resources.

If I start XMMS and then, say, go to YouTube to watch a video, there's
no sound from the browser. I have to kill XMMS, browse again, then it
works.
I am under the impression that it only happens with Flash movies, but
those are anyway the only ones that play directly in the browser - for
the other formats I use the MediaPlayerConnectivity plugin for Firefox
and configured it to launch Xine for WMV, Qt and Real movies.

What's the cause and how can I fix it?

Fedora Core 5
ALSA-1.0.11
XMMS-1.2.10