[linux-audio-user] XMMS and Firefox (or Flash?) not playing along nicely

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Fri Aug 4 19:57:01 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 14:33 -0400, Lee Revell wrote:

> It's because your card lacks hardware mixing support and Flash only
> supports the OSS API (/dev/dsp) which bypasses ALSA's software mixing.

Probably true, it's a cheap on-board AC'97 chip:

# lspci | grep audio
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM
(ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)

> You might be able to work around this limitation of Flash by setting
> FIREFOX_DSP to "aoss" in /etc/firefox/firefoxrc.

Damn, aoss is not available on Fedora. :-( I had to pull the aoss
src.rpm from PlanetCCRMA and rebuild it on my system to obtain the aoss
executable.

But still, my Firefox does not seem to use the FIREFOX_DSP variable,
either in /etc/firefox/firefoxrc, or in ~/.firefoxrc, or as an exported
variable in the shell that launches Firefox.
The only way that it works is to launch Firefox like this:

$ aoss firefox

Then it works, XMMS and Flash have sound at the same time.

Is that some kind of compile switch for Firefox, that enables that
feature, and it's disabled on my distro?

P.S.: For the record, my XMMS uses the ALSA output plugin.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/