[linux-audio-user] Bass V-amp vs V-amp

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Wed Aug 9 19:03:46 EDT 2006

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 12:37:16PM -0400, Paul Coccoli wrote:
> If I had the money, I'd get a SansAmp Bass Driver DI.  People on
> talkbass.com rave about it.  You need a mic pre (with headphone jack
> in you case) though, as it has an XLR mic output.

OTOH, having been a bassist for about 25 years now,
I can't stand the SansAmp BDDI. It's not a very "neutral" device -
it has a strong personality, it scoops out vast amounts of
midrange no matter what you do with the tone controls.
For my taste, that is totally wrong.

Lots of people like it... poor lost souls :)

For going DI, I prefer a decent passive DI followed by
tweaking with plugins if necessary. SC4 is very handy; so is the 10-band EQ
(I forget which suite that comes from). I also sometimes use
the "tube warmth" or whatever it's called.

I really prefer micing the amp, but I recognize that's not
always doable.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com