[linux-audio-user] RME multiface gain, matrix and/or asoundrc and an array of confusion.

we are gateswideopen at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 00:49:30 EDT 2006

hey there crew.

just wondering if there is someone out there that could enlighten me
to the ways of the RME multiface.

i have been using it for a few months now. i thought that these
question would arrive in time, alas, i am still confused.

for starters, i have been using peter todd artical in linux journal.
some of this is useful but other bits simply don't help at all.
my main problem is the gain settings. i can't seem to have consistant
gain for different applications. my input gain is really realy low for
the line (analog) inputs and i can't seem to find a way to boost them.
when i record in ardour, the waveform is really small and i end up
having to normalize every clip/track to get a decent volume. this is
the same issue with PD.  when i try to boost the gain on using the
command as written by peter todd i get errors.

ie
amixer -c 1 cset name=Chn,index=1 32768

amixer: Cannot find the given element from control hw:1

the other issue is that when i use media players like audacious, xmms,
mplayer etc. the output gain is a huge amount louder than PD and
Ardour and other such audio apps. this is really confusing.

as for routing the I/O's for live audio usage. i can't seem to workout
a simple and effective way to route the sound for performance. ideally
i  would like to be able to have pd own the card. at the moment all
the inputs are directed routed and mixed to the subsequent output ie
analog in 1 goes to analog out 1, ananlog in 2 goes to analog out 2.

what would be great is a matrix like the one in windoes......

any help would be awesome.

thanks
as always.

tom