[linux-audio-user] so.... u wish to hear something completely horrible

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sun Aug 13 11:28:10 EDT 2006

Greg Wilder wrote:
> On Saturday 12 August 2006 11:26 pm, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>> I believe its' a personal choice that a digital musician makes to
>> incorporate legally or illegally any influence they feel intrinsic to
>> the nature of their artwork.
>
> Of course it's a personal choice.  Just as it's my a personal choice to sue
> your ass for stealing _my_ music.

Yep. If you own it and you want to sue then go ahead. If you want to
discourage DJ's from remixing or even playing your tunes then you have
the right attitude.

>> If we as artists are going to be held back by the rules that the
>> industry has created to monetize art then we might as well go and jump
>> off a tall building now.
>
> Yeah - just like the industry created rules to prevent people from
> tresspassing on private property - those fascists!  Hey, I like where you've
> built your house, and I'm going to build a garage on your front lawn -
> industry be damned!

Ahem, That wasn't the industry that created that rule.

>> If I was the owner of a piece of work that was ripped off and also made
>> a lot of money I would be calling my lawyers to get my fair share. In
>> that case I would be fairly happy that someone else had made more money
>> for me without much further effort on my behalf and I'm sure my lawyer
>> would be happy too.
>
> And now we hear the truth.  I can steal from you, but don't you steal from me?
> I'll chase you down.  Come on...

Those are your words, not mine!

If I incorporate parts of your recorded material into my own pieces and
you don't notice does it make any difference?

My experience of the music industry is that everyone is trying to rip
each other off. How else do we explain the amount of crap that is
produced to make money and retain residencies at "insert Your favorite
club here"?

If I release a track with a copyright that doesn't allow unlicensed
reproduction or distribution it is my express desire that someone will
make a remix that sells in the thousands so I can sue their ass and get
some extra money from it, get more exposure for my original work and
increase my profile through a highly visible publicity campaign
explaining how hard done by I am that my music as ripped off and how
amazing my original work is that someone would want to rip it off in hte
first place.

Why else would I want to protect my IP other than making as much money
as possible from it?

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
Http://www.boosthardware.com