[linux-audio-user] so.... u wish to hear something completely horrible

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Mon Aug 14 08:52:46 EDT 2006

Patrick Shirkey schrieb:

> That's a big leap to make. I compare it to graphic art like a collage
> made up of newspaper clippings

THis would be like incorporating smples from movies or radio - this i
think, is just material - to reuse this to build something completely
new should not be restricted.

>> So if Trent Reznor would take your tracks to illustrate the next Oliver
>> Stone Movie and would not trow you a single cent (from the  some
>> 10thousends he gets for it) and would not even mention your name but
>> claim to be the sole creator of the soundtrack that would be OK then...
>>

> If I had a license that allowed him to do it then that's my problem if
> not then I would certainly follow it up and be excited about the
> opportunity of getting:
>
> a. associated with Trent Reznor
> b. A big studio payout
> c. Publicity for my original work
> d. The chance to talk about it when I'm in the company of people I need
> to impress...

if you would use the licence, that I use for my stuff, you would have
this opportunity, if you use the licence, you recommend for everybody
you would have the chance to be sued if you claim to have made the track
he used (because he does not need to mention you and can easily claim,
it is his work)

>> Not right, for i would not use the corrupt and stupid "copyright" law to
>>  get my claims in the first place but ask  the user of my stuff for some
>> respect personally without a lawyer involved.
>>

> That's a good start but in most cases unlikely to get you any money.

Maybe so but money is not the preliminary target.

>> There really is something between the established industry-slavery and
>> total unawareness of authorship.
>>

> True, but how many listeners know the difference between a song crafted
> 100% without any other artists work and a song that had a couple of
> samples incorporated?

sad but true - still i do not care so much about what "everybody" may do.

> For example. How many people would know the name of the Artists Moby
> sampled for his signature track? He is very open about it and has full
> permission to use it, he even lists the original artist on his CD.

That is most honourable and should be standard at least for commercial
Productions.

> By far the vast majority of people dancing and listening to music have
> absolutely no idea of the history of music apart from a couple of
> Beatles tracks and a few of their favorite songs.

the vast majority loves Madonna and thinks, Bon Jovi is a Heavy Metal
Band - these majority-people are no reference to anything about music/art

> On top of that telling other people on this list who have got the balls
> to share their work with the community to *effectively* fcuk off until
> they make something "Original" is an outright insult.
> Anyone who backs up Ron on that one had better get ready to have a
> fight, and I use knives so you better be packing!! ;-]
>
> BTW I respect Ron and his work but I am not prepared to let that little
> slight go by. tX is a highly undervalued piece of software and anyone
> who uses it deserves more encouragement to do whatever the hell they
> feel like with it. If a member of this list personally doesn't like
> artwork that is made public here then they are free to criticize it but
> telling someone to stop doing what they are doing because they are not
> original is BS.

At leas I did never made such statement - i like the stuff you make and
it is OK with me, that you use samples from others to do so, still i
think that those others should not go unnoticed.

> I have yet to meet a DJ who has not got a sample in their collection or
> has not been heavily influenced by someone else's music to the point of
> having a couple of tracks that emulate or borrow heavily from the
> "originator". In fact you can't really call yourself a DJ if you don't
> have other peoples work in your collection.

I am not a DJ - combining found recordings to new tracks is a method,
that is invented in the 1950ies and i think, it is heavily overused
today. So i decided only to work with samples, i have recorded myself.
or an band with me.
I had some samples from apocalypse now in an older track and mp3.com
rejected the track - this I found somewhat silly for some Machingunfire
and a little speech is no music, but in the end I did not care too much.

> In fact I have yet to hear any truly original music being released by
> anyone in this community. Should we all just give up now?

There are hundreds of tracks made in the community allready, that do not
incorporate a single second of any previously published record. DJing is
not the only way to make music...