[linux-audio-user] so.... u wish to hear something completely horrible

Ryan Heise ryan at ryanheise.com
Mon Aug 14 23:55:17 EDT 2006

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 09:34:25PM +0700, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> I didn't make the track in question. However I have remixed several
> tracks which incorporate samples from other peoples work with varying
> degrees of appreciation from people who have listened. I am not the only
> one to do it and I defend the freedom I have to do it whether it is
> deemed illegal in some countries or not.

On the surface, this seems like a good argument. I scratched my head for
a while trying to figure out what was wrong with it, because something
seemed wrong. Finally I came up with this:

It does not follow that since you appreciate/enjoy something, that you
ought to have the "freedom" or "right" to do it, because sometimes
things that you appreciate/enjoy doing can impact negatively on other
people. When this happens, the law often steps in to protect the other
people.

Here is a story about such a situation:

http://langintro.com/kintro/whycc.htm

--