[linux-audio-user] so.... u wish to hear something completely horrible

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Wed Aug 16 10:23:44 EDT 2006

Patrick Shirkey schrieb:
>...to get
> permission before doing so. It's also highly impractical in many cases.

To demand a permission for a remix, that is noncommercial
(or sold very little on selfmade CD)  is too much for
my taste also, attribution and correct credits is not such a big
chunk of work, at least if some copies of a CD are sold or if a track
is uploaded to the net, the relevant names should be on the cover/in the tag

> I don't remember suggesting that. You have perceived my comments that way.

allright, so let us forget about that - you are well aware, that most
musicians do
 not need any samples.

> I don't give a !!! If an artist wants to remix someone else's work then
> they should be free to do so. If they want to sell it without clearing
> the license then they should expect to hear from a lawyer.

This i agree, yet i can imagine, not to sue a small-lable artist,
that uses my stuff, cares for the attribution, and makes little or no
money by selling it.
And of course i would sue anybody, that i learn to use my stuff, "forget"
the attribution and sell a single CD }>:-]

> So now you are suggesting that a remix is a nearly pointless exercise
> done by someone who is incapable of technical expertise with more
> advanced audio software?

At least if such person does not care for the source,
from wich his tracks are derived -
i think there is in deed some incapability

>> And yes! the whole concept of open source is the opposite of leeching
>> - - it is respectfull collaboration for mutual advantage
>> and public interest.
>>

> So now a remix is leeching as well as thievery and to top it off highly
> immoral and a reflexion of an inferior personality?

A remix is not leeching, if the origination of the used recordings is
not ignored

> This is great. I'm looking forward to finding out more about the level
> of musical snobbishness that abounds in this community.

You state, that a musician has the privilege to break every rule,
he/she needs to break, if needed to make the work of art and than
you dare to criticize musicians for being snobs??!