flatwounds & JJ Cale, was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: so.... u wish to hear something completely horrible

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Wed Aug 16 10:53:05 EDT 2006

Loki Davison wrote:

> Do you people ever shut up? I'm bumming around at home looking for
> something exciting in my email and all i get is this mindless drivel.
> Time for a new direction please!

Blathering is a right we all share here, and copyright topics are
obviously & always inflammatory issues.

> In other topics, i've put flat wound strings on my bass and damn do
> they sound fantastic. Anyone else using flatwounds?

Yes, on a Fender Precision. I love 'em, especially for recording. Great
for blues and soul music too, but not so hot for the funkier stuff.

Plus they don't rip my right-hand nails to shreds. I also play classical
and blues guitar, I like my nails.

> Also been listening to a lot of J J Cale, and he has some mighty fine
> tracks. Cocaine and the rest covered by clapton are great, as is crazy
> mama and tons of others. Somewhat like John Mayall's decent albums but
> good all the time. Great stuff.

Cale's okay, not nearly so good a writer as Willis Alan Ramsey, but okay
for pop. Mayall is another quantity altogether. IMPO he made exactly two
decent albums, the first Bluesbreakers with EC and the Hard Road
recording with Peter Green. His tribute to JB Lenoir is heartfelt too.
But the truth is that he's a 3rd-rate singer and a not-so-hot player.
OTOH he must be reckoned as England's blues maven #1, and his recording
of "Man Of Stone" is a heck of a lot better than Eddie Kirkland's original.

If you want to hear some core blues try Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, or
Sonny Boy Williamson, especially the old Chess material. If you want to
go deeper, get the complete Blind Willie Johnson. (Apologies if you're
already aware of this stuff).

How's that for some new directions ? :)

Best,

dp