[linux-audio-user] Re: Commercial audio software on Linux

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Sat Aug 19 12:04:22 EDT 2006

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 17:12:07 +0200
Davy Wentzler <info at audio-evolution.com> wrote:
> > Are we talking of a closed sourced commercial app or an open sourced
> > one?
> Closed source.

Hi Davy, nice to meet another ex-Amiga fan here!  I had one of the first
1000s, and eventually got a 3000 and LOVED those machines.  I used to do
a fair amount of radio production years ago, and the first time I recorded
and edited a promo on the Amiga, I threw away my razor blade and splicing
tape.

While I think it's possible to make a closed source commercial application
for Linux that's successful, it's got to be an absolutely killer app, and
unfortunately, I think you're positioned way behind the curve.

As others have mentioned, Ardour ( http://ardour.org ) is the reigning
champion of multitrack recording programs under Linux.  A big part of its
success is due to the fact that its author has also designed JACK, the
low-latency audio server that more and more Linux audio apps rely on.

It's such a polished piece of software that Harrison/GLW (maker of consoles
to die for) is integrating it with some of their products.  (A pic is
available at http://ardour.org/files/ardour-harrison.png ).

Despite the fact that this is a piece of first-class software rivalling
ProTools, it's released under the GPL and is freely distributable.  It's
going to be an uphill battle to release a tool that does less (judging from
the feature lists) and costs more to implement.

Nevertheless, I wish you luck, because Audio Evolution's always had a
very good reputation, and it's never a bad thing to have alternatives.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com