[linux-audio-user] Re: Commercial audio software on Linux

carmen _ at whats-your.name
Sat Aug 19 13:05:44 EDT 2006

> Now, I don't mean to take your courage away, but this is what you're up against nowadays...

also up against numerous free beers on Losedows:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2006/07/17/free-windows-sequencershosts-for-music-straight-out-of-no-cash-2/
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2006/01/02/reaper-freecheap-windows-audio-software-from-winamp-creator/
http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/
multi-track capabilityes of Audacity,

and nice stuff in your price range (Tracktion, a few others)

and most kids/anonymous/broke/amateur musician would rather just use a cracked copy of Cubase, Reason, Fruity or Ableton than pay $45 for something which isnt even as good.

> Maybe to find some way to make it GPL and still earn

does the the LA/FA world really need another mediocre daw? we already have Muse, RoseGarden, JoKosher, QTractor, Traverso, and Ardour. of course this is nothing compared to the duplication among single-track wave-editors..

all the while, Ardour and probably none of the others can play back 48khz files in a 44.1 project or use heterogenous source formats without arduous pre-import conversion tasks, can barely sequence MIDI and can't sequence OSC at all, offers no realtime timestretch/loop/tempo-warp facilities, edit-preserving instantaneous in-place bouncedown (aka "freeze"), run on windows, automatically restore state of all utilized standalone instruments, export project in a generic format which can be used in another DAW (say Qtractor if your GTKMM is giving you shit today), quick 'midi learn' and 'draw envelopes on anything' GUI features, workflow-improving metadata-enhanced patch/preset/project browsing, etc.

if youre a good programmer, i'd want to attack those, by good i mean, good enough to get a google summer of code and/or some consulting gigs out of it. even at the basic entry level, youll have made as much money as selling ~100 copies of your program, which i am questioning whether you'll do otherwise, and help out the rest of us for perpetuity..

> Amiga rules, btw...

i remeber a kid in school in 1989 telling me how cool Amiga was, but i never got around to using one. he was talking about DAWs with built-in samplers, voisualization, and other cool things that we are still struggling to recreate over 15 years later ;)