[linux-audio-user] Ardour and RAM

Brett W. McCoy idragosani at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 16:07:02 EDT 2006

On 8/21/06, Drucer Ninetynine <drucer99 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Could somebody please clarify can Ardour and other
> Linux audio apps use RAM efficiently? What I mean by
> this question is - let's imagine I have 4GB of RAM -
> are these applications aware that "oh I see, there's a
> lot of RAM available, let's use it" and use RAM
> instead of immediately writing to disk which is slow
> and can cause latency issues?

If you are running a realtime kernel and have a fast hard drive, I
don't see where this would be an issue. I am running jack + realtime
kernel + Ardour on a machine with 512MB of RAM, a firewire drive and a
Delta 1010, and never have issues with the writing to disk process not
being able to keep up with the audio (rarely, if ever, get xruns,
either).

--
Brett McCoy: Programmer by Day, Guitarist by Night
http://www.alhazred.com