[linux-audio-user] Ardour and RAM

Drucer Ninetynine drucer99 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 22 02:27:25 EDT 2006

--- Hans Fugal <hans at fugal.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 at 15:35 -0700, Mark Knecht
> wrote:
> >
> > Paul,
> >   I'm guessing that part of the question Drucer
> was asking was 'Does
> > Ardour use only the amount of RAM it needs?'
>
> Actually, I got the impression that he wanted to get
> a warm fuzzy from
> someone telling him that his 4G would be utilized by
> the software and
> not go to waste. But that's generally a bad thing,
> and the real answer
> is you want the OS to make good use of your
> available RAM, not the
> software. Linux does this, and quite well.

Hey thank you all for your replies! Yes, I had to ask
this question because I wanted to know if it would
make a difference if I installed some more RAM to my
DAW computer. No, I don't need it now, but I'm
considering getting it now anyway. Right now I have
2GB and currently I need 15-20 tracks, but I might
need more tracks later. I have a dedicated box built
for my DAW and I know that the hardware is not going
to get obsolete (how could it?), but would like to
ensure I have enough memory for the future as well
(nobody knows how hard it might be to get DDR RAM
after a couple of years).

Unfortunately I'm not nearly as bright as most of you
guys who actually program these great applications. I
do not know how typical Linux applications handle
memory, but it's good to know that it is OSs job to
take care of most of that. Thanks for clarifying this!