[linux-audio-user] so.... u wish to hear something completely horrible

Rob lau at kudla.org
Wed Aug 23 10:00:00 EDT 2006

On Wed August 23 2006 02:23, tim hall wrote:
> Because I'd be hurt and confused - if you don't respect an
> artists integrity why would you WANT to use their work?

Wow, where do I begin?  I might want to belittle them, like
Negativland did with U2.  I might like what their producer did
without having any respect for the writer, or the writer might
not be the copyright holder in the first place.  I might think
"That's an okay song, but it could be an AWESOME song if it just
had _______."  I might like the music but be offended by the
lyrics, e.g. if the lyricist were a neo-nazi or Creed-esque
crypto-christian.  I might know nothing at all about the artist,
so that their "integrity" is an unknown variable altogether.

A day doesn't go by without me hearing something on the radio or
somewhere else where I think, wow, I could do so much with that.
If I were more into dance music, I'd be constantly like a kid in
a candy store.  It's a lack of time that prevents me from doing
anything about it, rather than any misplaced automatic respect
for my fellow man due merely to his ability to breathe air or
get a record out.

Rob