[linux-audio-user] so.... u wish to hear something completely horrible

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Sun Aug 27 13:41:36 EDT 2006

On Wednesday 23 August 2006 18:23, Chris Reisor was like:
> And these winey sensitive artist types need to realize that all art,
> form of expression, or even communication in general (hello! the
> freaking language that you speak, for that matter) is built on what
> has come before.

That's a truism. I expect you would also argue that there is no difference
between art and craft either. The effort involved in creating something new
out of raw materials and raw imagination is not the same as building
something out of pre-fabricated parts. Both are creatively worthy pursuits,
but the latter case usually involves some kind of transaction with the maker
of the pre-fabricated parts that you are using in addition to the transaction
that is necessary with the supplier of raw materials and the maker of tools.
Free licensing, of course replaces the need for these transactions.

> If one doesn't think ones's work can stand on its own, in spite of
> constant reworkings, remixings, and reshapings, then one obviously
> doesn't have much confidence in one's ability to express oneself.

Most artists suffer from insecurity, as a result there is a high rate of
self-destructive behaviour amongst this group. Would you put this down to
self-indulgence or being whiny and sensitive? I'm not sure I care, this isn't
about artistic aesthetic sentiments it's about respect for the original
artists and the licenses they choose to put their work out under and
ultimately the fact that writing and recording music involves work and
dedication which is (hopefully) valued. It's a very materialistic legal
argument. If you choose to break these human conventions for a very strong
moral or artistic reason, then you may get away with it, but you had better
be sure that you really are a genius. Personally I find it easier to respect
people's licenses. I don't understand why this is such a problem, usually a
polite mail is enough to secure appropriate permissions.

--
cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk/tim
We are the people We've been waiting for.