[linux-audio-user] Preferred Alsa Linux setup

Josh Henne jhenneocad at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 29 21:08:20 EDT 2006

Hello all;

I am installing Gentoo on my dell Inspiron 9300. I am slightly confused as
to how Alsa should be set up. When I try to run alsamixer I get the message:
no mixer elms found.

In the Kernel config I have set sound card support to "yes" and left all the
Alsa options blank. I have emerged the alsa-driver and alsa-utils packages.
The Internal soundcard is an Intel AC97 controller or module Intel8x0. I
have added alsa to load on boot and added the alsa and Intel8x0 modules to
load on boot. And the SAVE_ON_STOP variable is set to "yes". Eventually I
would like to add my Mackie Onyx 1640 using freebob (but after I solve the
alsa issue first ^_^ ).

Thanks