[linux-audio-user] Re: Recording Fluidsynth playing a MIDI file with ardour

Kjetil S. Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Sat Dec 2 05:39:10 EST 2006

Steve Fosdick:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to be able to play a MIDI file with fluidsynth and have ardour record the output to I can mix other tracks into it.  The two approaches I could think of were:
>
> 1. Have fluidsynth output to a WAV file and import that into ardour.  I
> haven't been able to do that because I can find a fluidsynth output
> driver that writes to a file.
>
> 2. Connect the output of fluidsynth to the ardour track with jack.
> This is also problematic because I can't use qjackctl to make the
> connection until fluidsynth is started but I don't seem to be able to
> start fluidsynth and give it a MIDI file without it starting to play the
> file immediately so by the time I've made the connections and hit
> "record" it is half way through.
>
> Does anyone please have ideas how I can do this?

jack_capture constantly monitors which jack ports are connected to
the soundcard, so it will record everything you hear, even if fluidsynth
makes the jack connection after it starts playing. After
recorded, you can import the sound into ardour.
jack_capture can be downloaded here: http://www.notam02.no/arkiv/src/

As an alternative, I think you can use the patchbay in qjackctl as well to
make sure fluidsynth always connects to ardour.