[linux-audio-user] Bristol segfaults when run on real-time kernelwhile works

Glen Kirkup handstandnosemanual at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 3 21:08:03 EST 2006

Thank you for your quick reply.

>From: "Nick Copeland" <nickycopeland at hotmail.com>
>To: handstandnosemanual at hotmail.com
>Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] Bristol segfaults when run on real-time
>kernelwhile works fine on regular.
>Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 18:46:23 +0100
>
>Hi Glen,
>
>I am not sure what the exact cause it, but the audio engine (bristol) could
>not open its TCP socket interface:
>
>>Problem with bind
>>Could not open control listening socket: 0
>>No controlling socket available: anticipating MIDI
>
>This is when the bristol process attempts to open a TCP socket for
>communication to allow the GUI to connect and drive the synth parameters,
>and it fails. The engine stays active and decides to default to a physical
>MIDI interface and expects control signals from there - this also fails for
>other reasons, and the engine exits. The seg fault of the GUI is a side
>effect of not being able to connect to the engine via the TCP socket (it
>cannot connect via MIDI). I can fix the segmentation fault quite easy but I
>will have to look at bit further to find out the reason the engine cannot
>open its control port.
>
>Now the engine appears to want to open sock id '0' which is unusual - the
>default is 5028, and as you can see the GUI does appear to try to connect
>to this port, expecting the engine to be listening. Do you run the same
>software with the two different kernel releases? That should not be a
>problem as bristol is all done in user space, not kernel space.
>
>>./startBristol: line 188: [: too many arguments
>
>I will look into why this is reported, it may be related.
>
>Do you always use the jack audio interface with both kernels?
>
>Regards,
>
>Nick

When trying different port options I no longer receive any error messages
before the segfault and everything seems to connect fine. I've found that
using the -jack option with any other option while jack is running is what
causes both './startBristol: line 188: [: too many arguments' and the
program choosing port 0 by default. When running in the non-RT kernel, where
Bristol works as expected, gives './startBristol: line 188: [: too many
arguments' when jack is running and -jack with any other option is used,
though selects the correct default port and works fine. All options I have
tried still result in the segfault on the RT kernel (./startBristol: line
272:  3877 Segmentation fault      brighton $*), though, which is the only
real error message left considering that the 'too many arguments' problem
does not effect the working of Bristol on the other kernel.

I use the same software on both kernels and the jack audio interface for low
latency.

p.s. Thank you for Bristol, it's a great joy to play with and it being free
is wonderful.

Thanks,
Glen.