[linux-audio-user] jack things please

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Tue Dec 5 05:28:58 EST 2006

On Tue, December 5, 2006 05:30, we are wrote:
> i have been using qjackctl 0.2.2.21
>
> could someone suggest why the iconify button has disappered.

that seems to be an idiosyncrasy of your specific window manager.

> also, is there a way that it could auto detect what sound card is plugged
> in and load a preset accordingly. i use both my HDSP card and the onboard
> ICH intel sound chip depending on where i am at or how
> orgainised i am. but each card needs different priority and buffer setting
> for jack to opperate properly.
>
> i would really like to have qjackctl startup with my window manager but
> due to my flux in sound device decision, i currently end up with loads of
> errors and jack complaing at me if the preset does not mach the device
> loaded.
>
> perhaps this is a suggestion if there are no current work arounds.

seems like a suggestion to me because there's no way to automate the
preset selection  based on a (missing?) soundcard. I understand your
worries but I'm affraid you have to live with it, for the time being.
Qjackctl presets can only be changed manually. Remember of the complexity
of the task in detecting which audio interface is eligible when you have
all plugged in (for instance, I have 4 devices frequently connected, 1
onboard, 2 pci and 1 usb), even more if we're not alone with alsa backend
devices, there's also OSS, portaudio, coreaudio, freebob, etc. Too much
work, which seems an exercise on futility to me and at this time, and more
than that, I'm just lazy ;)

Cheers.
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela