[linux-audio-user] scriptable audio editor to (parallel) combine streams

Thomas Sattler tsattler at gmx.de
Tue Dec 5 16:10:46 EST 2006

Hi there ...

When watching a DVD one can sometimes select which language to listen
to. I'm looking for a solution where I can playback a movie with two
different languages at the *same* time:

Most of my friends understand english quite well so we want to see a
movie in its original tongue. Just one friend often needs translation
so I would like to be able to listen to german translation with a
headset.

As I do not know of a player that can manage two different languages at
the same time I thought of recording the DVD to harddisk, also record
english and german audio and then mix both audio channels together.

This could either be mixing each language to mono and combine them to
a pseudo stereo containing a different language on the left or right
channel. Or mixing two stereo channels to a pseudo surround sound, one
language at the front the other at the rear.

As written above I do not need to edit (cut or somehow modify) the
streams. All I need is to remix them. Could you please give me a hint,
which tool I can use for that?

TIA
Thomas