[linux-audio-user] Linux Audio Conference Continent selection

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Fri Dec 8 20:56:05 EST 2006

Mark Knecht schrieb:
> On 12/8/06, nescivi <nescivi at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello Fons,
>>
>> Thursday, December 7, 2006, 11:27:43 PM, you wrote:
>>
>> FA> Who is 'we' ? In other words, how is this decided ?
>>
>> ok, last year the TU Berlin proposed to host LAC2007 to the ZKM and
>> after some discussion with them, it was decided to make it so.
>> We had some discussion during LAC2006 with the people involved
>> organising the last LAC's about what the future would look like for
>> the LAC, but we have not come to a definite conclusion yet.
>> I suppose we will need to continue this discussion on LAC2007 to come
>> together to a good solution.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Marije Baalman
>
> HI Marije,
>   What's the 'TU Berlin'?

Technical University, simple for me - I live around the corner, compared
to you ;-)

Still the Question from Fons has not been answered yet,

Who are you? The Staff of the TU Rektor? Have you got a website up (if
not: do you need any help, to setup one?)

>   Anyway, I have no say in this and probably never will until I get
> rich. Germany is a long, long way from California so travel costs are
> prohibitive. Being that Linux Audio is world wide it's going to be
> that way for lots of people no matter where it's held.

TUs name has some reputation, so if the TU would ask for sponsoring
travelling costs, it may have a good chance to get some checks. Though
sponsoring culture is somewhat underdeveloped in Germ...

>   I think the folks who set this one up for the last 5 years should
> be able to have it where they want. Cheers to them and ZKM for all
> their efforts over the years.
>
>   Maybe, if there was enough interest, there should be some thought
> towards doing conferences like this on more than one continent each
> year? LAC-Europe, but also LAC-Buffalo, LAC-Panda, LAC-Kangaroo, etc.?

Yeahhh LACs for everybody everywhere!!
Out of obvious reasons (refer my nick) I like the idea of having a LAC
here in Berlin very much ;-) But of course I agree, that travelling
costs should be no hindrance for interesting and interested
international Linux-Audio-Makers to come.
So fundraising should be made....

best regards

p.s.: I would be honoured to host a guest in my flat and donate a small
amount of money to buy tickets(sometimes it is not perfectly easy for us
to raise the money to pay the rent for the abovementioned flat, so dont
expect a Shuttleworthish amount ;-) ).