[linux-audio-user] Software suitable for children

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Sat Dec 9 15:03:51 EST 2006

michael at michaelshiloh.com wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Dec 2006, Brad Fuller wrote:
>
>> carmen wrote:
>>> for >  children. I must admit that I never thought of that. Although
>>> I have >  children of my own. My children play with our small studio
>>> and if theres >  a problem I'm there anyway. But my college needs
>>> software that is more >  geared towards ease of use and in his case
>>> towards children (not that >  fluent in English) in the age of 6-7
>>> years. So if you have any >  suggestion it would be appreciated.
>>>
>>>  git clone git://dev.laptop.org/projects/tamtam
>>
>> Tamtam is a good one to look at and the OLPC is a good reference.
>> Here's the OLPC Wiki link:
>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Tamtam
>>
>> and the repo:
>> http://dev.laptop.org/git.do?p=projects/tamtam;a=tree
>>

> I'm very interested in this topic as well, both for children and adults
> with a
> children's level of understanding (me). Tamtam seems wonderful, but as
> near as
> I could tell, it's still under development. Does anyone know if it, or a
> similar
> program, exists now?
>
> I couldn't understand the reference to "git". Is "git" the parent of
> tamtam? I
> could find no reference to git on the web or rather, I found countless
> references to the word "git" that had nothing to do with music :-)

git is a version control system that, apparently, the OLPC developers
decided to use. I say "apparently" because etoys uses it too - although
there is an yum repo too for etoys. Which, BTW is on the OLPC wiki site
and allows you to quickly check out etoys.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git_(software)

--
brad fuller
  http://www.Sonaural.com/