[linux-audio-user] Thesis: Playing and making music

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Sun Dec 10 09:27:04 EST 2006

Frank Barknecht wrote:

>Dave Phillips hat gesagt: // Dave Phillips wrote:
>

>>Sorry, Frank, but I'll call bull-hockey on this statement. I respect the
>>talents necessary to become a good gamer, but I reject the comparison to
>>instrumental skill, it's simply not on the same order of complexity and
>>intention.
>>

>Uhm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcKyv0T4b4A ;)

Yes, I've seen that video. Frank, that performance has more to do with
playing the bongos than playing a piano.

The assumption that playing an instrument is merely a matter of "the
right fingers in the right places at the right time" is a little shy of
what really goes into the production of timbre, particularly on
instruments such as the guitar or the winds. Pianists are also quick to
point out that tone is not only a result of the instrument per se but is
determined to a great extent by the player's technique (this is
profoundly true for classical guitarists).

I think we can agree that the issue is one of dexterity. IMO a more apt
comparison would be to typewriting. Of course it isn't as impressive or
self-congratulatory as a comparison to Svatislov Richter, but I think
it's nearer the true point. ;)

Best,

dp