[linux-audio-user] Thesis: Playing and making music

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Sun Dec 10 10:19:34 EST 2006

On Sun, Dec 10, 2006 at 08:48:50AM -0500, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
> >Good gamers reach incredible levels of virtuosity with their controllers
> >(mouse, gamepad etc.) that really compare to the virtuosity of, say, a
> >pianist in some cases.
> >
> Sorry, Frank, but I'll call bull-hockey on this statement. I respect the
> talents necessary to become a good gamer, but I reject the comparison to
> instrumental skill, it's simply not on the same order of complexity and
> intention.

There is probably no good way to qualitatively prove this either way,
but I disagree. It very much depends on the game of course, but some
games require a similar level of dexterity, creativity, and subtlety
to become truly great and beat other human players. If you can call a
virtuoso a genius, I beleive that the people who compete in some games
on an international level must be called the same. If you have ever
watch a master playing Quake3 you will know that this is true. Sergei
Rachmaninoff eat your heart out!

Best,

Chris.

chris at mccormick.cx